The Importance of Staying Hydrated This Summer
With summer approaching, you may be looking forward to enjoying a consistent dose of sun and warmth after a cold winter and wet spring, but you don’t have to be an elite athlete to appreciate that the summer heat can seriously impact your hydration level. Excessive perspiration from the summer heat can also cause electrolyte imbalances as well as the loss of important vitamins and minerals.
Whether you plan to work in the yard, take a quick hike, or perform a hard-hitting workout outdoors, adding a packet of Vie’s vitamin powder to your water each day can help keep your vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes in balance while also keeping you hydrated. To best beat the heat this summer, this post helps you understand how hydration impacts your health and what you can do about it.
The Benefits of Proper Hydration
If not getting enough water hurts your health, then it stands to reason that proper hydration helps. You can reap the following benefits of sufficient hydration, and by adding a packet of the vegan supplement created by Vie to your water each day, you can ensure you get your daily dose of vitamins and minerals in a plant-based formula:
- Better physical performance: If you want to perform your best, you need to stay hydrated. Whether you want to enjoy the outdoors this summer or work out hard, you know you’re going to sweat. Even just a 2% loss of your body’s water can cause noticeable effects of dehydration. When you consider that athletes can lose anywhere from 6% to 10% of their water by sweating, you should understand that even a leisurely walk or yard work can easily lead to that 2% loss. Staying hydrated ensures you can continue your physical activity safely.
- Better brain function: Dehydration not only affects your body but also your brain. You don’t even need to lose 2% of your water for your brain to begin to feel the effects of dehydration. Normal activities, let alone those done in the summer heat, can easily lead to this critical loss of water. Keeping up with your water intake allows you to maintain healthy brain function and energy levels.
- Better bowels: Okay, so no one enjoys talking about their bowels, but most people enjoy constipation even less. Staying hydrated may help to prevent and relieve constipation. In fact, water rich in magnesium can be an even better choice, and Vie’s vitamin powder can enrich your water with your complete daily recommended dose of vitamins and minerals, including magnesium. So adding a packet of Vie to your water gives you a tasty way to stay hydrated as well as helps to relieve constipation.
The Dangers of Dehydration
Dehydration occurs when you lose more water than you take in. Although a healthy diet and staying on top of your water intake provide effective tools in fighting dehydration, you still risk not getting enough vitamins, minerals, and hydration throughout a summer day, especially if you’re already behind on your intake.
Those at highest risk for dehydration include
- Anyone working outdoors
- Anyone working in high-heat conditions
- Older adults
- Young children
Although an illness can certainly make you dehydrated, during the summer, you’re probably more prone to the effects of dehydration because of perspiration (you know, sweating). Your body uses sweat to cool you off, so don’t view sweat as the enemy. Just understand that every drop of sweat means you’re losing fluid and micronutrients that need to be replaced.
The heat of summer means you’re sweating more, which can cause electrolyte imbalances, loss of important minerals like magnesium, and loss of Vitamin C even if you’re not completely dehydrated. Vie offers a vitamin powder filled with your entire recommended daily dose of vitamins and minerals—including magnesium and Vitamin C—that can help keep your hydration and nutrition on track.
When you’re dehydrated, studies have shown that the reduction of Vitamin C can interfere with your blood pressure, and the loss of important minerals, such as magnesium, can cause serious symptoms, including:
- Muscle weakness, spasms, and cramps
- Mental confusion
Your body needs water, so becoming even mildly dehydrated interferes with several bodily functions:
- The regulation of your body temperature
- The effectiveness of tissues in your eyes, nose, and mouth
- The ability for oxygen and nutrients to be carried to your cells
- The ability to break down minerals and nutrients to make them available to your body
- The ability of your kidneys and liver to flush waste from your body
Vital to hydration, steady water intake and proper nutrition keep you on track but replacing your fluids while experiencing the summer heat is just as important. To keep dehydration at bay, know some of the signs of mild dehydration
- Increased thirst
- Dry mouth
When any of these signs occur, be sure to actively monitor your fluid intake to ensure you’re rehydrating and staying hydrated.
Tips For Staying Hydrated
Hydration is essential to your health and well-being, and you need to ensure your body gets enough water and replaces lost fluids throughout the day. However, some people struggle to maintain healthy levels of water, especially during the summer. Use these tips to help you stay hydrated and healthy even in the heat:
- Drink before you get thirsty. Thirst is a sign of mild dehydration. So drink water before you get thirsty. Set a recurring alarm on your phone or put it in your calendar. Do whatever it takes to make consistent water intake a daily habit.
- Add flavor to your water. Vie makes drinking tasty water simple. With a travel-ready single-use packet, you can add Vie’s vitamin powder to your water not only to make hydration taste better but to also get your recommended daily dose of vitamins and minerals.
- Follow good nutrition. Water-rich foods and a vegan diet offer some of the best ways to keep your fluid, vitamin, and mineral levels high so that you don’t fall behind in the heat.
- Know the signs of dehydration. Mild dehydration can be easy to spot so you can start rehydrating long before you become completely dehydrated. So familiarize yourself with the signs of dehydration so you can recognize them and get your hydration back on track.
Staying hydrated should be a priority no matter what season you’re in, but during the summer, hydration becomes a critical factor for your health. If you start behind on your daily intake of water and vitamins and minerals, lower hydration levels can affect your ability to perform mentally and physically.
You can stay on top of your nutrition and hydration needs by using a vegan supplement from Vie. This vitamin powder mixes with your water boosting your hydration and offering you a complete dose of your daily recommended vitamins and minerals.